RANDOM RANTS...

I gave the KINSKI CD on Sub Pop a bit of a backhanded complimentary review a little while back (see way below in the Sub Pop piece), essentially coming to the conclusion that it's a by-the-numbers space-rock-in-a-can album I enjoy, yet have no need for. That original assumption was wrong. Having given it a high-rotation flogging in the car stereo I can now undoubtedly state that it's a SCORCHER everyone should check out. Sure, they haven't rewritten the songbook of rock, but for now a great version of a well-worn path will suffice. Two thumbs up!

Who the fuck are the SCISSOR SISTERS? Are they a new low point in contemporary music? In a word: yes. I know little about them except for the mandatory major-label push they're receiving and their apparent Darkness-style camp/retro schtick, but I can smell a turd a mile off, and when I witness it, all doubt is removed. Saw their video the other morning and nearly spat my breakfast all over the dog. Unbelievably putrid, they're like a "wacky" mix of No Doubt, ELO and Chocolate Starfish. I rest my case. Just make sure your gun's loaded when the timing's right.

I've been flogging the deluxe 2-CD edition of SONIC YOUTH's Dirty LP lately, which is a pretty funny place to be for me in 2004. Why? Because I detested this album when it came out. In fact, I recall seeing the video for "Youth Against Fascism" at the time (1992) and shaking my head in horror at the dopey "grunge" monster my once-fave band had become. Seriously, between the years 1990 and 2002, I barely gave Sonic Youth a minute of my time, whilst from 1987-'89 I barely stopped listening to them. Over the last 18 months, after giving their 2002 effort Murray Street a stereo hiding, I've come around for a re-evaluation of Sonic Youth's '90s output, and so far it's sounding good. Both A Thousand Leaves and Washing Machine are firm frontrunner favourites, though NYC Ghosts and Flowers isn't without its charms, even though I found the usual Ranaldo Beat poet references (and quotes!) laughable at first. It's either the worst thing SY has ever done or possibly one of the best. I'm still deciding. Dirty? It kicks ASS and then some! What at the time sounded like merely another jackass attempt to cross over into the "rock" market with flannel-waving riffs now licks my eardrums like the perfect mixture of art-rock pretentions wrapped up in Detroit-style guitar antics. Not a bad place to be. Ace packaging, great liner notes by Byron Coley, plenty of worthy bone-arse material (including NY Dolls and Alice Cooper covers), this one's a keeper. To top it off, I'm actually going to see the band this coming June, the first time for me since their January 1989 show at the Corner. The revival is on!

Comments