I wrote about David S. Ware's Surrendered CD 5 years ago - Jesus effing Cripes, was that 5 years ago??! - right here. In case you can't be bothered going to the link, I will briefly explain that the record in question, released on Sony/Columbia in 2000, is one of the highlights of this jazzbo veteran's long and fruitful career, and will probably go down in history as the last great and/or interesting "jazz" album released by a major recording company, ever. If you think the majors suck at releasing rock & roll, you should see how they stumble and fail w/ remarkable consistency when it comes to "jazz". Being a nominally niche form of music in the modern scheme of things, the cheese factor is laid on even thicker for the mass market than its rock sidekick - since "rock" is a mass-market music form - and hence... wait a fucking minute, I'm being sidetracked by my own good self here. I'll save that rant for the street corner. Anyway, Branford Marsalis, the slightly less annoying brother to "traditionalist" fartspider, Wynton, signed up Ware and co. in the hope of bringing his adventurous/far-out sounds to the masses. He failed, of course, but he succeeded in being the A & R dude responsible for releasing what are probably the only two killer jazz platters released by the Columbia Records Corporation since they showed James Ulmer the door back in the mid '80s. They even managed to rope Rolling Stone scribe David Fricke into the fold to pen the liner notes; no great feat, since the guy seems to've jotted the liners for every second major-label disc I own, but despite the severe handicap of being one of the head cheeses at Rolling Stone mag, I actually like a decent amount of what he writes (and his notes for the Ware album in question are great). So, why am I writing about this record... again? Because today, on the holiest of holy days, I gave it a spin, and I'm still of the opinion that it remains one of the finest American jazz long-players of the past two decades. I then searched Youtube for footage and came up w/ this oddity: someone posted my fave song from the disc, "Glorified Calypso", and for reasons unknown to most functioning adults, put it to scenes from the old depressoid Kraut flick, Christiane F. If there's a connection between the two, it's lost on me, but at the risk of strangling the English language even further, I will state that it's not like the clip doesn't not work in some strange way. I'm giving them a B-, slightly higher than I should, if only because they showed us mercy by including no calypso dancing footage.

Comments