Once I get some time I'm going to spruce this site up a bit and write about a little more than, ugh, the Top 50 Albums of All Time. Believe me, at this rate, by the time I get to #40 I think I may've bored myself to death. Anyway, I got a letter yesterday from an old friend in Spain who asked me what was going to be next: Miles Davis, Sonny Sharrock, Meat Puppets or Blue Cheer. Not a bad guess - two of those artists will be listed - but two won't, despite the fact that I dig them immensely. Let's put it this way: this list is 50 albums I'd take to a desert island, if, hypothetically speaking, I was dumped on one with a cache of discs, a turntable and a, um, power generator (yes, we are talking fictional). Or let's put it this way: if I had to spend eternity on a desert island with only 50 albums, I really don't think that Sonny Sharrock's squalls (and Linda Sharrock's screams) would be what I'd choose to dabble in for a lifetime of solitude. There's about 3 or 4 Sharrock albums I love, but if I put them down they'd only be token references for added Hipster Points. I hope to avoid such pitfalls here: these records are ones I actually listen to, as opposed to ones I show off to half-assed collector friends when they drop by.

Comments