Apologies for the woeful lack of entries of late. It’s a hectic time of year, and I ain’t got the spare hours to chew away in front of a computer screen blabbing on about a bunch of music most people will never care less about (their loss, of course… Sorry, had to add that in). I’ll be off work for a break likely from this time next week onwards, so hopefully then I’ll pull my finger out and get some thoughts on screen.

Before I go, let me ponder the obvious: what in god’s name are the “critics” speaking of when they utter the phrase “U2 are the world’s greatest rock band”. I’d be able to laugh if such a phrase wasn’t so omnipresent in reviews for their latest album. Why am I reading these reviews? Like I’ve said before: when bored, I’ll read just about anything. And that includes flaming a-holes writing about the latest U2 disc. I, for one, didn’t think U2 had a thing to do with “rock” music. I don’t even consider the band to have anything to do with the process a musical unit goes through when writing and performing rock ‘n’ roll. They’re more like a corporate brand stamp which gets inked on a vaguely similar product that’s spat out of the bowels of a record company every 2 to 3 years. I know, I know, tell me something I don’t know. It’s just that, you see, all this loathing bubbles to the surface every 2 to 3 years…

Good news here for those who care: the long-promised Tar Babies CD on Lexicon Devil will be out and about mid January. It’ll feature the Face the Music and Respect Your Nightmares EPs, their demo, some comp’ material and 4 or 5 previously unreleased early tracks. Liner notes by Bucky Pope himself and fully remastered by Melbourne-via-Chicago nob-twiddling maestro, Casey Rice. Primo early-80s jackboot-shaking HC from the US of A, it sounds fucking ace.

Also, the Oil Tasters reissue is going ahead and should be ready by late January/early February, if I’m very lucky. Never heard of ‘em? Try here.

FIVE COOL ALBUMS TO LISTEN TO WHILST DRIVING THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS ON A STINKING HOT DAY (as I did today)

1) PERE UBU – Terminal Tower/Modern Dance LPs
2) MOTHERS OF INVENTION – Freak Out! LP
3) CHARLES MINGUS – Black Saint and the Sinner Lady LP
4) DAWSON – Terminal Island LP
5) BOB DYLAN – Bringing It All Back Home LP

Comments