FATSO JETSON - Power Of Three CD (SST/1997)

Funny I should be reviewing this, since: A) I'm a Johnny-come-waaay-lately in recognising the genius of Fatso Jetson, and B) I have and am currently in the process of releasing more albums featuring a member or two of the band. Fact is, I never bothered checking FJ out 'til very early last year when I first came into contact w/ Gary Arce (Ten East, Yawning Man, etc., plus one-time FJ member), and he would call me at odd hours and rave on about the unrecognised greatness of the band. Hmmm... I considered his point and figured any greatness the band apparently possessed was also unrecognised by myself and that such a situation must be rectified, pronto. You may ask yourself how on earth I could be so ignorant of a band who had released two albums on the SST label, though in my defense I will simply state that said albums also happened to be released in the years 1995 and '97. My obsession w/ the label runs the years 1978-'89, and essentially switches off at the dawn of the '90s, when the musical direction of the label - at least for me - became hopelessly unfocused and Ginn and co. cut the release schedule down to a bare minimum. When I think of the years '95-'97 and what I was listening to, I can only think of chin-stroking/bong-smoking Germans from the '70s and angry black dudes from the '60s w/ brass instruments. My head wasn't in the FJ solar system, let alone planet.
That brings us to Fatso Jetson, the trio fronted by the two Lalli brothers: Frank & Mario. By this stage, their pedigree included stints in influential desert-rock outfits, Across The River and Yawning Man (who go way back to 1986), and were therefore hailed as gods by stoner-rock fans of all stripes, which strikes me as kinda weird, since FJ sound nothing like a "stoner-rock" band to me. The Power Of Three sees Lalli in full D. Boon mode: his voice, his guitar twang, his look. There's little to no 'Sabbath riffery in effect here; to me, this sounds like what the Minutemen coulda (and shoulda!)been up to in '86 if Boon hadn't been driving down that fateful highway in late '85: total post-Project Mersh/3-Way Tie righteosity with forays into faux-Spaghetti Western twang and rollicking boogie-rock. One may balk at the awesome power of FJ for two reasons: the neverending fawning of pimply, numbnut QOTSA fans, and the fact that SST released 'em at a time when most hipsters probably weren't paying that much attention to their roster. Never judge a book by its cover. Anyone with a penchant for first-wave SST a la 'Flag/'Puppets/Minutemen needs this one, and I'm just goddamn shocked it took me a full decade to cotton onto how great this band was, is and perhaps will be in the future.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is one of my favorites too, and the MINUTEMEN comparison (esp. on tracks like "Builders & Collectors") is totally apt. To be fair, a pronounced SABBATH weight did enter in on their next disc, Flames for All - BUT the riffs remained so angular/odd that most stoner dudes hadda ditch their bongs while listening, for fear of getting too paranoid.

And oh! I got tix to see em play (now with Vince Meghrouni) later this month on my too-short holiday back in LA! God, I can't wait.
Anonymous said…
Those Sort of Quartet SST records shouldn't be overlooked either...
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the chance...