OVER AND OUT
Time to wrap this up. For good. As you can see, the entry levels on this blog have been somewhat woeful the last few months, and after a week of chewing this over, I've decided to end this blog for good. Of course, I'll keep all content up here for eternity for anyone to browse it in the future, but as for any new entries... nope, that ain't happening. There's two reasons for this: first, as of the last 8 months or so, I've had very little free time to spend on it. Family and work commitments are keeping me far too busy to care about sharing my thoughts on the latest 8" coloured vinyl excursion w/ anyone, and secondly, at this point, I simply feel tapped out and have very little enthusiasm for the "project" known as this blog. There's a zillion of 'em out there, and I'd rather kill it after nearly 5 years of work than let it slide into being truly half-arsed, littered w/ dozens of unenthusiastic entries written only because, at the back of my mind, I feel like it's my "duty" to keep it alive. Blogs come and go, and this one's no different. The label's still happening: out in 2010 should be CDs by the UK's Honey Ride Me A Goat, Melbourne's own Chrome Dome and possibly even that Dawson 2CD retrospective I've spoken about since the dawn of time, plus I've got some other writing projects on the hop, but Lexicon Devil the blog is going the way of the dinosaurs. If nothing else, I can say that this is probably the only blog on earth which has managed to cover everything from Ian Matthews to Immortal to Ali Farka Toure to Universal Congress Of, and damn it, I'm proud of it! Anyway, I'm not turning this into an Oscar's speech. I'm outta here... and to paraphrase the mighty Big Boys: go start your own blog! Oh, you have? OK, send me the link.

Comments

Zac Walton said…
Hey Dave, really enjoyed reading your blog! thanks for turning me onto some good shit-
Steev Hyooz said…
I don't know if I'm the first to get here what with your comment approval system and all, but regardless, I feel obligated to say that I'll truly miss your updates. Your blog has introduced me to more incredible musicians/artists than I'll be able to sort out in a decade or two, and the fact that you were able to detail such a rich history (personal or otherwise) without ever entering the elite, snobby, or purposely-overwhelming territories impresses the hell out of me. It probably sounds ridiculous, but this little literary dome of yours has been one of the most profoundly entertaining/engaging musical commentaries I've come across on the interbutt, and one I'll likely backtrack for recommendations for years to come.

Blubbering aside, thanks and good luck with the label and everything else, and make that Dawson retrospective top priority already! If you don't, who else will?
Javi said…
C'mon, Pal!
I've been a loyal reader of Lexicon Devil since I came across it, circa 2005. If my level of allegiance towards the blog has somewhat waned, it's maybe because the overall late (I mean; from two years ago or son on) tone of the blog had more to do with the more experimental side of things (free jazz, post rock, kraut rock obscurities, ...), music that as great, challenging, authentic and worth of respect as it might be, it retained less my interest than, say your take on Dictators, Dead Boys, the Crucifucks, Naked Raygun or the Birthday Party.
Even if I quite often didn't agree with your sentiments towards certain bands (with some others you were just dead on), I've always enjoyed your writing style and your detailed analysis.

Well, if you've mulled it over and have decided to quit, that's your call, mate; just as you said, blogs come and go. Thanks to your great contribution.

All the best from (one of) your antipodean reader(s).
Anonymous said…
thanks for the good times!
been one of my only regular stops on the information super free highway for years now!
understand your reasons. it all gets to be a pain after a while!
best of luck!
& thanks again!
luKe said…
Thanks for all the great writings Dave! It really felt good to have a like-minded soul at the other end of the globe. I for myself will continue my half-arsed blog because I don’t have that many readers and consequently, don’t feel the need to post at least once a week…
Best of luck buddy!
Pig State Recon said…
Sorry to see you go - I've enjoyed your writing immensely for years. If you ever feel like guest blogging over at PS Recon, I'd be honoured to host anything you wrote.

But wait: could this be some sort of Jay Hinman-style endgame fakeout? Please say yes!
Cousin Creep said…
Dave,

Your blog was the finest from the original zine writers that morphed into Blogging. Insert standing ovation.
barking_sprog said…
Dave,
All the best to you and the family for the future...have followed your blogness for a few years and you definately opened my ears up to some new sounds, brought memories flooding back and some inspiration to dig through the collection to once again re visit the SST albums sitting upstairs in the spare room...i to hope the Dawson retro sees the light of day...
Anonymous said…
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
DISTORT said…
Now get back to the fanzine world!
Dave said…
Aaaaaww, shucks everyone. You've all been so nice I'm almost tempted to resurrect the corpse of LexDev already! Hmmm.... stranger things have happened...
Dave said…
Aaaaaww, shucks everyone. You've all been so nice I'm almost tempted to resurrect the corpse of LexDev already! Hmmm.... stranger things have happened...
Jimmy said…
Hey it's not like you've got to post every day now Dave.

C'mon, keep it going, even if it is sporadic.