THE SCORE: 500
According to Blogger, this is my 500th post, so excuse me whilst I step back for a moment and pat myself on the shoulder for, well... a job well done or making the effort or being consistently consistent or all of the above. In this spirit of self-congratulations, allow me to point you towards several articles I wrote over the years for Perfect Sound Forever online music magazine. Helmed by the nicest guy in all of New York City (he tolerated my noxious presence in his shoebox apartment for a whole week when I was there in '99), Jason Gross, it was one of the very first web-based music mags worth a bean - one of the best - and continues to be so. I've been too ensconsed in flattering my own sense of self-worth w/ Lexicon Devil to make many contributions these past six years, but back in the day, I wrote a whole lotta nonsense for 'em on a variety of topics. Some of these pieces are horribly dated and downright embarrassing (the Stooges one falls under both those categories, whilst the SST piece is a mess), but since they remain in the interweb stratosphere and will continue to haunt me for time immemorial, why not just get it over with and draw some unwarranted attention to them here?

THE STOOGES

SST

THE POP GROUP

SCREAMERS

CUL DE SAC

MILWAUKEE NOISE

BIG BOYS

SACCHARINE TRUST

CHUCK DUKOWSKI

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART

URINALS

DIE KREUZEN

CAMERA OBSCURA LABEL

OPPROBRIUM MAGAZINE

Comments

Steev Hyooz said…
In response to your blurb about Opal: did you ever check out Mazzy Star? Their first album is a pretty ace extension of Roback's final work with Opal with a sort of dark psych-blues sound. There's a great Slapp Happy cover, too.
Dave said…
I was given vinyl copies of the 2nd and 3rd albums, which have also been reissued by Plain. Didn't get the first, though. They're OK, but don't blow me away. There's some nice songs in there, but they just sound way too much like generic '90s alt-rock for my likings. I wasn't into that stuff back then and care even less for it now.
Mrowster said…
Yours still stand as a great interviews with both Joe Baiza and Chuck Dukowski, Dave. Now when you gonna throw some questions at Merrill Ward?