I posted just recently about the great Yusef Lateef, noting that many of his '50s/'60s jazz titles are well worth getting, even though his music went off the rails a little bit in the '70s (and came back around again in the '90s). If you need further proof of that, check out this clip from Norwegian TV in the '70s. It's Yusef on vocals w/ a funk-based backing band, the audio/visual result being a strange mix of Sun Ra-style space-bound nonsense, Devo robotics and George Clinton-lite grooves. I'm not saying it's bad, and I'm not saying it's good. I'm simply saying you should watch it. I know I said that his music went a little off the rails in the '70s, but I gotta say, I kinda dig the track this clip is on. And I haven't even mentioned the hats!

Comments

Cousin Creep said…
I have a copy of 'Live at Pep's' which I play continually.