What to make of this? I'm a great defender of all things Ginn - to a fault - but even I have to draw the line with this performance. The first Jambang disc from 4 or 5 years back - that's Ginn and a band of relative youngsters playing what I could only describe as instrumental acid-rock (it sounded a bit like a 'Dead/Velvets/Spacemen 3 mix) - was actually pretty damn good, and I said as such on this blog. But live, as a solo artist w/ backing tapes and electronics... I'm struggling, as is nearly everyone present during the filming of this long, long clip. I heard he cleared rooms all across the US at Coachella festivals w/ this kinda stuff. It's either the sound of a man with absolute purity of vision willing to see it through to the end and fuck everyone else, or simply a load of self-indulgent codswallop seriously in need of an edit button and a tap on the shoulder from a friend.

Comments

Pig State Recon said…
But the ROYAL WE album is actually totally effective, holding attention with its loosely circular electro groovin' in ways I'd never, ever expect it to do. Sadly, this live clip is just tedious; someone should've stopped him from ever taking this manifestation to the stage. I guess it's back to the studio then . . .